RE: Fuel Pump Question?

To: "Brent Wolf" <wolfbj@prodigy.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Question?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:40:35 -0500
----Original Message-----
From owner-spridgets at autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-spridgets@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Brent Wolf

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Should I be looking elsewhere?  The wisdom
of the group is needed.

Brent,

Is there air trapped in the filters?  The reason I ask is; I once had a
"puller" mechanical fuel pump on a british car (Hearald) that acted much the
same as you describe.  The problem turned out to be a small crack in a piece
of rubber hose back at the gas tank.  The hose was in the boot above the
tank and connected two steel lines together.  At certian times the pump
would pull air thru the crack in the hose and cause the "symptoms".

I found the cracked hose when I put an electric pump very close to the tank.
Naturally it now pushed fuel out the crack.

Of course this was after I tried almost everything else....Including a
vented cap, which helped a little.  If your cap on your tank is "sealed"
you may have neg pressure in the tank causing these symptoms as well.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Kevin V.