Re: lift for rent in NJ ?

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: lift for rent in NJ ?
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:01:05 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
stevenm@optonline.net writes:

> Does anyone in northern New Jersey know of a person / place / shop that owns
> a lift, and will rent it out by the hour?  I would love the chance to
> REALLY get under my Midget for a "big picture" inspection, cleaning and
> waxoyl-ing.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

These days, everyone is afraid of losing their insurance or being sued if
someone in their shop is injured.  Most places have signs saying you aren't
even allowed IN the shop.

I doubt you will have much luck finding a lift for rent, but I hope I'm
wrong.  Your best bet is to become friendly with a small garage owner, and,
over time, he may feel that you are responsible enough to be trusted.  (Hint
- Bring him donuts and keep complaining about people who sue other people!)
Joining a club or the SCCA tends to open a lot of doors for this sort of
thing.

Lastly, you can always put the thing up on four jack stands. Put the jack
stands on some 6X6 lumber (or stacked 2X6s) to get a little higher.  Working
that way really isn't too bad if you have room and a decent creeper board,
and you don't have to worry about how much rent you are paying, so you can
take longer to do the job.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget