Leaking stering Rack

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking stering Rack
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
I replaced the Steering Rack on Bugsy my '68 sprite
and attempted to install a new Pinion Gear ordered
from VB( the cheaper new style pinion not the old
style ). Existing rack had new style pinion gear but
worn out. Replacement rack had old style pinion but
great smooth action. Newer style pinion along with
appropriate mounting bracket and correct bearings just
wasn't as smooth an action as with the older style
shorter pinion gear. Went back to older style pinion,
reinstalled, and discovered plenty of movement in
steering column so pinch bolt can be correctly
connected.

Here's the problem, fluid continues to leak out around
the bottom on the pinion gear assembly. There are a
gazillion spacers /shims in there and I probably
buggered up on of those shims taking this thing apart
multiple times. I did loosen up pinion gear bracket,
opened up bottom cap perhaps 1/8-1/4 " and dabbed Blue
Automotive Sealer around the pinion gear end cap.
Resealed back up and lack seems to still be there.
Short of pulling radiator back out and ideas on how to
get this seal from leaking 90 weight gear oil all over
garage. Flow has stopped but it could simply be that I
finally ran the rack out of oil. Any ideas?

It is possible BTW to pull radiator, pull 4 bolts
holding rack to support brackets, release pinch bolt,
and flip rack over for access to Pinion Gear without
having to disconnect ball joints. Thanks.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH