Roller bearings HELP!

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'Bob Kansa'" <swindrace@aol.com>, "'KansaR@diebold.com'" <KansaR@diebold.com>, "'Lawrie, Bob'" <robert.lawrie@controlcode.com>, "'Mal Fay'" <Mal.Fay@toro.com>, "'Mike Gigante'" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, "'Prewitt, Ben'" <prewitt5@bellsouth.net>, "'Smith, Dave'" <dtserve@aol.com>, "'Spruck, Bob'" <bspruck@mindspring.com>, "'Van Kirk, Bob'" <Racerbob70@yahoo.com>, "'Ed at Justbrits'" <justbrits@attbi.com>
Subject: Roller bearings HELP!
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:38:46 -0500
Cc: "'MGTD2@aol.com'" <MGTD2@aol.com>
Sorry for bombing my "Address Book, Midget" with this blanket appeal, but
I'm gettin' stressed!  I'm having a bit of a problem getting the front
spindle nut down far enough to reveal the cotter pin hole through the castle
slots.

I reviewed all the archived stuff on switching from ball bearings to tapered
roller bearings up front, I bought the correct inner and outer bearings, I
pressed in the outer races, inserted the bearings per usual way.  I put on
the keyed washer and the castle nut.  I then followed the procedure
described in the archives by the Timken engineer who wrote back to one of
the listers (Jeff Boatright?) on tightening and adjusting.

I tightened the nut while turning the hub until I could no longer turn it by
hand.  (pretty darn tight).  I suppose this should seat the bearings and
pull everything in to where it's supposed to be.  I then backed off the nut
until I could feel about .001-.003 endfloat (which was a bit more backing
off than I had expected before I got the little bit of perceptible
movement).  Lo and behold, I can only see about half of the cotter pin hole
through the castle!  If I tighten down to where I can get in the pin, I have
no endfloat and the rotation of the hub is significantly tighter.

Additional information:  I am using no shims and (after reading all the pros
and cons), decided to convert without the use of the center spacer.

What should I do????

Race day at VIR is quickly approaching.  :-(

--JohnD