Re: Roller bearings HELP!

To: "Brent Wolf" <wolfbj@prodigy.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roller bearings HELP!
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:51:00 -0400
ya know i find this whole line of confusion quite odd.   we ran tapered
rollers in the race cars and i have had them in my bugeye for years (since
the late 70's).   they were a drop in installation (disc brake hubs) with no
modifications needed.   never torque tapered roller bearings!  you hand
tighten them to zero play and go to the next available cotter pin hole and
yer done.  something sounds fishy with reguards to proper seating of the
cups in the hub or the inner cone not going all the way onto the spindle
causing the assembly to sit too far out on the spindle.   exactly wich or
what has transpired is beyond me without seeing the assembly in person.
but there was a drop in set of bearings that did not require any
modification.    i no longer have the numbers in hand and without
disassembly of my car to get the cone and cup numbers, so i'm not of much
help in that department.  but with tapered roillers you throw away the
spacer and any shims wich might be in the old assembly.   heck, we threw
away the spacer when we did ball bearings too.

chuck.