Re: Fuel pumps

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pumps
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:13:23 -0400 FILETIME=[E9FC0600:01C37948]
Good rules-of-thumb is to size the pump based on the most amount of fuel the
motor can likely handle, GPH = 0.23*HP for none or dead head regulator, and
GPH = 0.17*HP for a return style regulator. Pressure required depends on a
variety of things, but 3.5psi min. for normally aspirated mills has been
proven over the decades to be sufficient for all but certain racing
conditions, so it seems reasonable to me that to use less is potentially
'penny wise and pound foolish'.

Since even a 60HP Bugeye needs more fuel to keep the float bowls full at WOT
than what the AUF series can likely flow, only a show car or one that never
sees much more than cruising throttle should retain its original pump IMO.
Here, the R-O-T that manufacturers appeared to have used as a guideline for
balancing drivability Vs cost is GPH = 0.5*HP/6lbs.

GM