RE: Fuel pumps

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Larry Pitts" <FUZZY95687@yahoo.com>, <spritenut@Exit109.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fuel pumps
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:04:48 -0400
I'm afraid I just can't accept the idea that the stock pump is marginal for
anything beyond a stock 1275.  If the stock pump, which, on the later 1275s,
was the same one used on the MGB; how come BL's Special Tuning Manual, for
the MGB, uses the stock pump for most of their "stages"?  In my humble
opinion, based on personal experience, as well as on a not insignificant
amount of "research" of factory racing/rally history, the stock, AUF-300
pump should be completely satisfactory for any factory-specified power
tuning set-up that one would, reasonably, expect to run on the street.  Now,
I have to admit that my statements are based on my recollections from
reading the Special Tuning manuals 20+ years ago, while building my race car
(an MGB, for SCCA E-production).  However, I can't imagine that I wouldn't
remember needing to upgrade the fuel pump.

Also, since the term "after-market fuel pump" translates to Facet, for most
of us: that pump, while delivering more pressure, actually delivers less
volume than the stock, SU, AUF-300 pump.

So, my upcoming, Mk-I w/"hot" 1275, as well as my soon (?) to be resurrected
race car will have their fuel supplied by SU pumps.  BTW, SU made
competition fuel pumps, too.  I'm willing to bet they're still available.

Bud Osbourne