Re: Wire wheels

To: RBHouston@aol.com, gjbranch@comcast.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:52:07 EST
I don't agree with any of the statements about the disadvantages of wire
wheels.  In fact I would say that keeping a set of alloy wheels in good order
can
take as much time unless they are a 100% painted.

I don't do any maintenance on my wire wheels and they have been on the car a
long time.

Kerb a wire wheel hard and yes you may damage the rim.  Kerb an aluminium
alloy wheel hard and yes you may crack the rim.

If anyone wants to know the real disadvantage of wire wheels it is that once
you get into the wider rim sizes there is a weight penalty which I accept as
about the only compromise on my car.  The other penalty which is not an issue
for me is that you cannot run low profile tyres on them (or easily or
recommended) because you need to have an inner tube and yes the inner tube is
also part
of the weight penalty.

It's your choice whether or not to have wire wheels but make that choice on
the facts or on cost.

Daniel1312