Re: Wire wheels

To: RBHouston@aol.com hAND7UGx024854
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:06:41 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sometimes yea just gotta hate work.

I am a few weeks behind on this, but let me throw my 2" in anyway. I
bought a set of Dayton Wire wheels in chrome a couple years ago. I do
agree that keeping them clean is a major PITA. But boy do they look
good. I also looked at the mini-lite replicas as well. For total cost
the two kinds of wheels are about the same. Roughly $1000 for a set of
4. The Daytons are available only in 4.5" widths as a standard. They
will make you up a set of what ever width you want. But they are gonna
make a buck or two on you. I mounted 175x70x13's on them. They look
great under the car. Now I started doing a bit more Auto-xing this year
and wish I had opted for the mini-lite reps.  Oh well, another year,
another grand. I do not recall what widths they were offered in. But I
think you can get them to 6". A bit wide for a square wheel arched
Spridget.

If you decide to go with the wires, be sure you get them from Dayton.
They make a nice chrome set with stainless steel spoke. And a 3 year
warranty. They also make a painted set. I got mine from Coker Tire. The
Dunlops were made someplace on the Indian Sub-Continent and tthe wires
were chromed, so they flaked off and looked like crap. I heard from
someplace that this is not longer true, but I can not confirm it.

HTH

Larry

--
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

  I have great faith in fools - my friends call it self-confidence.
  - Edgar Allen Poe