Re: New Rims Arrived!

To: macleans@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Rims Arrived!
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:29:35 EST
In a message dated 12/15/2003 11:50:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
macleans@earthlink.net writes:
I'm looking for a set of hubs that I can
drill out to whatever size is required for these new studs.  And how do
you do that?
Mike

Not sure what the clearance translates to in terms of lug stud size. But if
you can make do with 7/16" it would mean taking out less material. Also it is
not just the hubs that will have to drilled.

I am in the middle of that process myself. I am upgrading to 7/16" studs. It
is important to find a lug stud with the smallest knurl diameter so as to take
off the least amount of material. It took me awhile to find the appropriate
studs at 7/16 and I don't have the part number in front of me at the moment,
but if you are going this size I can get that to you.
The original application is for a 72 Chevy Nova, among other cars.

I have two cars to do this on, and I just found a heavy duty drill press at a
reasonable price, So I am going to barge full speed ahead on the do it
yourself route. Paul A prefers that the drilling be done with a milling
machine. The
rest of this wee tight list told me to "just do it." So, I am going to give
this a shot myself. I have also purchased a tapered centering spindle to
properly line up the drill press with existing holes.

You will have to pull your hubs, drill them out at a diameter .005 less than
the knurl diameter, and then drill new clearance holes in the brake drums and
axles. At 7/16" I am hopefully that I can drill out a steel wheel for a spare
and still have enough taper for the lug nuts to catch the holes. I think once
this is all done on your car, the only way to go back to stock wheels will be
to drill out new clearance holes in the original wheels. I guess you could
have an extra set of hubs, brake drums, and axles.

David Oliner