Re: Respray cost

To: "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Respray cost
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:27:19 -0000
Antony,
I presume you are in the UK
And I presume you really are just asking for some sort of guidance on
prices, not accurate figures - you get those by going direct to the paint
shop!

For all the reasons stated by others prices can vary enormously, largely
depending on who does the work and what sort of standard you are aiming for.
Concours will cost a great deal more than a normal "road car" quality.
Stripping down and trailering to the paint sprayers will certainly save
money, but more importantly, it will get you a better finished job, assuming
you really do strip off all the external fittings, (locks, handles, screen
etc).

I think you will find a professional cost in the UK for a fully stripped out
car will range upwards from about #900 to maybe #2000.  It really does
depend who does it and how much preparation is needed (I mean paintwork
prep, after stripping off the fittings.  You may get a cheaper job done for
"cash" or as a "foreigner" at a paint shop.  And you will get a cheaper job
if all you are bothered about is that it has a layer of fresh colour over
whatever is there at present - but you will only get what you pay for!  I
have seen places advertise a paint job for #100 but I would hate to see the
end result!!

OR - by a compressor and the paints, add as much time as you can give it and
do the job yourself.

Guy