RE: Engine Swaps

To: "autox spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Spridget Midget Sprite group" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Engine Swaps
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 15:49:28 -0800
Bill,

Another possibility... Series 1 Mazda RX 7 engine/five speed
transmssion/rear axle would give you a lot more power, reliability, with
relatively light weight. This conversion has been done before, and one
lister here has much experience modifying RX7 axles to fit Sprites.

Lowest power for the 79-85 RX7 is the early 12A engine (100 hp), smooth
power all the way to 8,000 revs... and that's stock... with all emission
controls plugged in... This engine runs best on the cheapest unleaded gass
too! 1984 or 1985 RX7 13B engine will give you at least 135 HP. Both engines
can easily be tuned.

Only bad thing is that rotary engine noise. I personnally never got used to
it. While some cars engines sound like music to my ears, the rotary only
produces noise!

Jacques Le Clainche in SD, just back from a "blat" in the Lotus 7 Twin Cam
8-)

Bill wrote:
        I tried to post this earlier today from work, but I think it got
lost in cybersomewhere....

Still looking at alternatives for my'69 Sprite, with bad trans. Maybe
adding a bit more horsepower in the process of fixing the transmission.
I have found some sites with Toyota engine and trans combo swaps, and a
few Datsun engine and trans swaps. Of  course, the most common dats 5
speed trans, using spridget engine and rear end.

I also saw giant engine transplants, big honkin V8's and some V6's with
variable combinations. Oh, and one electric conversion.

Do any listers know of other combinations, such as normally transverse
mounted engines transplanted to a rear wheel drive? or maybe the
attachment of the front portion of the drive system from a front wheel
drive vehicle? Not that those would be a desirable option, but might be
fun.

Just covering all of the bases before embarking on what will no doubt
be a fairly long term project.