Re: Insurance (U.S.)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Insurance (U.S.)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:36:25 EST
Sorry for the repetition but if you have a car that you are planning only to
show and the limitations of the special heritage car insurance does not bother
you, you can probably save a bunch of money by using their insurance and
abiding by their rules.

Some "regular" insurance companies issue "agreed upon" value policies on
excellent restorations at a very favorable rate, along with liability on the
vehicle, just like you have on your other cars.   We are currently using
American
National and were previously with Auto Club of Southern California.   Both gave
excellent appraisals for our one-footer.   You can ask the "regular" company
if they write "agreed upon" value collision insurance up front.   I prefer to
carry collision on my cars to relieve myself   of having to fight for what is
due me if someone else hits me.   You will probably pay pretty near what you
pay for a new car worth $20,000, but to them it doesn't make any difference if
they put it into a nice old car or a brand new one.   It's still $20,000.

I don't recommend trying to save money by using classic insurance and driving
a daily driver--that isn't the contract and you will very likely (and
properly) get stung if you try to beat it.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"