Re: I need some help

To: "Jerry Goodman" <Jerry.Goodman@comcast.net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I need some help
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:17:38 +0000
It sounds like the ignition isn't advancing properly.  Pull the dizzy cap off
and see if the rotor will rotate a few degrees by holding it and turning it.
If it gives major resistance, you need to take it off and squirt some oil (I
use 3-in-1) down the center of the shaft.  Put the rotor back on and give it a
few twists to loosen it up.  If that doesn't work, the dizzy may need to be
rebuilt.

It could also be that the dizzy shaft bearings are shot.  The shaft should not
move side to side at all.  Wobble at higher speeds is a bad thing.

Advance really affects acceleration.  If you have a vacuum advance, the vacuum
unit could be shot.  Pull the vacuum hose off the carb and suck on it.  The
breaker plate should rotate.

It's been a while since I did this, my last Midget had Pertronix.  But I think
I got it right!

Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA