RE: MGB Oil Cooler on a sprite??

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@sympatico.ca>, "'List Spridget'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Oil Cooler on a sprite??
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:24:18 GMT j9ECOGJE012357
"radiator shop"

Sure, you probably can. And what would this cost as opposed to just buying a new
one??? You see how little we are actually
talking about here? Sure. :)

You might even spray it out yourself with
some carb cleaner and compressed air.

But consider as I put this another way.

When you add up the cost of a quality engine rebuild.....
what part of this in terms of % would involve a new oil radiator?

PERSPECTIVE....when are you really saving
and when are you actually practicing false
economy?? No right or wrong here, just
differences in perspective?

It's like using mid-grade or hi-test in my
'85 VW GTi. At 30-40mpg and over 12k miles per annum, how much am I REALLY
gonna save paying a little less for mid-grade, considering the car will perform
better (and a little more economically in terms of mpg if I don't drive it like
I stole
it) rather than a little more for hi-test??

There is another way of seeing this oil cooler issue as well.

If the contaminents within the used oil cooler haven't gone through an engine
oil system as yet (they're still in the cooler,
right?), then why would they suddenly decide to "get up" and contaminate the
oil supply just cause you moved the cooler
from one engine to another???

Of course, if you've thrown the cooler around a bit before the move, those
contaminents (metal particles?) might have
become dislodged.....and they may very well
find themselves introduced into the next
motor when subjected to oil flow, once again.

Do YOU know the history of YOUR used oil
cooler? Do you want to take the chance????

Decisions, decisions!!!! :):)

Your motor, your investment, your decision!

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog