RE: A series motor build advise needed

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@sympatico.ca>, "'spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A series motor build advise needed
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:37:33 GMT jADGdntI007886
"What was the issue with the alum flywheel?"

Well, I can guess! Not the flywheel, per se.

Light flywheel, full race engine (read: hairy cam) COMBO makes for lousy
traffic/street driveability along with premature wear/tear on clutch &
associated components?

Otherwise, don't get the bit about Webers
being difficult in terms of altitude. Most
easily changed jets and one of the most
tuneable carbs (in this respect) out there.

I mean go "up" 5,000' and plug in fuel jets
.05 smaller than what you had at sea level
while you close the vol. (idle/progression) screw a bit. Or go one step down on
the (fuel) idle jet if you're gonna remain at 5k or so for a while and adjust
vol. (idle/prog.) screw(s) accordingly.

You'd basically have to do the same thing
with an SU. Only in this case you'd "close"
the mixture a flat or so and if spending
any time at 5k, go to a slightly "leaner"
needle...as in the case of the stock motor, to
the "lean" needle rec. by the mfg.

I mean if you're looking for max torque/HP
as you constantly/continuously change altitudes between sea level and
10,000'MSL,
good luck with any carburettor in this respect! :)

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog