Re: A series motor build advise needed

To: uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: A series motor build advise needed
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:22:43 -0500
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Sprite <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Morris <morris@autox.team.net>, Morris Motors <morris_motors@yahoogroups.com>
My son's Mini is a too hot 1380, it's just a spark plug fouler around
town. Way too big a cam, always running too hot because it's bored too
big. And he did exactly what he did with his first Mini, overkilled for
real time driving.

Meanwhile, my 30 over 1275 with aluminum flywhell and adjustable timing
belt, kent 266, datsun 5 speed and a 4.22 rear is absolutley perfect on
the street and interstate.
It runs at 170* all the time, the toggle switch effect clutch with the
datsun tranny is counteracted by the feather the clutch effect with an
aluminum flywheel. It's as it should be with this combo.
4 years with the alum flywheel and still using the datsun disc that came
with the tranny kit 6 years ago.
I do run a weber 45 DCOE because it smokes the 1.75 SU on the local
scene. But it only gets 25 MPG.
I did get more when I had the SU on it but I did not keep that carb on
there for a whole tank of gas. I missed my Weber.
I did do the rim flow big valves a couple years ago but saw no noticable
improvement over a stock head. In fact, I think I lost power.
Which makes me wonder about a yellow book with all kinds of flow charts
compared to real world driving and seat of the pants feel.

My green Bugeye was too hot for the street and that was just too cammed
and overkilled suspension. Watch how much urethane you use in the
suspension, I would change lanes without touching the steering wheel if
I hit the white line on the road with my green car.
I am running urethane A arm and sway bar bushings but rubber trunion
bushings. All rubber in the back too, no too hoppy back there.

Today I am running 1" lowered front springs with comp rear 1/4 springs.
It is a bit bumpy compared to PIECES which is stock all around.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ