Re: master cyl with disc brakes

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: master cyl with disc brakes
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:03:18 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Phil Nase wrote:

> Will I be able to use my stock Bugeye master cylinder with a disc brake
> setup or do I need to find a later MC?

The original 7/8 bore will work with almost no noticeable difference.
Maybe a bit more pedal effort.
BUT....I noticed the ass end wanting to swing around on a panic stop.
And more than once. It was most likely due to the larger 7/8 bore rear
wheel cyls.
I did switch to a 3/4 bore master and later rear wheel cyl and back plates.
64-66 Spridgets did use a 3/4 bore master that is identical to the
Bugeye 7/8, only it has smaller bores and shorter push rods.
I have done the cutting and stuck a later pedal box in my blue Bugeye
but my old yellow one had the 3/4 bore master.
You can have the 7/8 sleeved too.
I would consider the later back plates and set up for the rear axle
though. I might even have a set up on a 69 Sprite out at the coop.
Not positive, that's been a state wide community grab bag for 2 years
now ;) I know the rear end is off to the side and I think it still has
brake drums on it.
It is a bolt on swap with a little fiddling with the E brake rods.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ