Re: A Certain unfortunate irony

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: A Certain unfortunate irony
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 17:21:31 -0700
Larry B. Macy, Ph.D. wrote:

>           They were hit head on by a van full of  Brits driving on the
>     wrong side of the road.
>           The lesson here, is no matter what or how you drive, you can
>     not  control what some idiot will do.

Whether you are a Yank driving in England, or a Brit driving in America,
there is always a critical period of adjustment that is crucial in
driving a car.  How well I remember my first expeience of driving in
England.  It came when we drove our brand new VW Vanagon off the ferry
from Calais and into the maelstrom of traffic in Dover.  I can guarantee
that there are dozens of Englishmen fortunate to still be alive after
that experience!   Now, even after driving untold thousands of miles in
England, Wales, and Scotland, there are still times when I have wanted
to put a sign in the rear windown and front bumber proclaiming, "Use
Care.  Stupid Yank Driving."  By the same token, I still have to be
alert for the first few days after flying home.

On this trip over, I am going to do something new and unusual for me;  I
am going to rent a car with automatic transmission.  Usually, I love to
drive the backroads in a stick shift where the driving is reminiscent
of a racing road course.  This time, however, I have to spend several
days in  Central London and the East End, and those are not fun with a
stick shift!!!!

Actually, it has been my experience that English drivers are far more
safe and courteous than American drivers.  Or at least drivers in
Southern California where 40% do not have either a valid license or
insurance.  While there is always some idiiot trying to beat a long line
of traffic by flying down the right side or shoulder and then cutting
in, I have never seen it over there.  Drunk driving is taken far more
seriously there, and it is a social wrong, where here it is too often a
macho thing!  Again, in the thousands of miles of driving, I have seen
exactly one accident.  Again, unfortunately, I live in Southern
California where the idiot drivers are king of the road!  And just get
out of their way or they will shoot you!

Buster Evans