Re: Motor City

To: <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Motor City
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:16:25 -0400
Linda:

I don't pay much attention to car shows and am some ways west of The Waste
Land, so can't tell you what's up in the Detroit area.  Moo-zeums:

If you have access to a car:  the Walter P. Chrysler Museum next door to the
Daimler Chrysler headquarters in Auburn Hills is very good. Has furrin cars
too.

20 minutes west of the airport on I-94 is the city of Ypsilanti, home of the
last Hudson dealership in America. In the area that was the service garage is
the Michigan Automotive History Museum.  Small but fun and specializes in
American orphan cars like Kaiser, Corvair, Crosley, etc. A great pub with
craftbrews and good food across the street (The Sidetrack Cafi).

At the far end of the parking lot for the Henry Ford Museum is a newer
building: It's called something like the Automotive Hall of Fame or the Motor
Racing Hall of Fame. I liked it.

But the Henry Ford is still my favorite- cars, old washing machines,
locomotives, the first McDonalds, trucks, airplanes, farm plows...I'm like a
pig in sh*t there and try to go once a year.

Have fun.  Keep your car doors locked and your finger on the trigger. Buffalo,
Newark and Detroit are a vanishing gleam in the black eye that is American
industrial strength!

JohnD