Great news on the new 72 Midget!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Great news on the new 72 Midget!
From: Les Jones <lcjones@croakingfrog.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:06:09 -0400
Folks,

Played with the Midget a couple hours tonight......
It hasn't run for at least two years according to the PO.

I got it running tonight! Awesome!!!!!

The first thing I found was the rear wiring harness ground had been
disconnected. Not broken or worn. It was flat disconnected. Put the
ground eyelet in it's proper location and all of a sudden the fuel pump
sounded much much better. It quit beating the pack panel to death!

So I crank it over and nothing. Started checking the fire from the coil
and there was none. Pulled out the trusty Bentley's Official 1275cc
Spridget book and the damned coil was reverse wired. Dist going to
ground. Got that handled.

Cranked it over again and dang if fuel didn't start leaking from the
fuel hose at the SU's. Turns out, the fuel hose that runs from SU to SU
was split at both ends. Someone must have used a torque wrench on the
clamps because they were cut right at the clamp. And besides that, some
joker put freaking OEM Volvo vacuum hose on it instead of fuel line. I
put new fuel hose on!   :)

Cranked it again. No go! Started looking at the SU's and the rear SU
piston was stuck. Took it apart and oiled it up slick-er-n-snot. So I
thought I do the other to. As soon as those SU pistons could move
freely, it flat started up with out a hitch. I mean it cranked, fired
and ran.

I had it running off and on about 10 minutes. It's got some old gas in
it so it would sputter itself out. I'll get that handled toot-sweet.

Anyway MG #107072 runs and sounds good at this point.

And I am one very happy camper! I was holding my breath......

Les