Re: concrete for shop slab/some LBC

To: "Charlie Shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: concrete for shop slab/some LBC
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:21:25 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlie Shelden" <shelden3@pldi.net>
Subject: concrete for shop slab/some LBC

Hello all,
been in lurk mode for the past year or so.  I'm about to pour concrete for a
slab for my new shop in my back yard.  It will be a 24x30 insulated metal
building.  I'm located in Oklahoma.  Several of my friends and I have been
helping one another build so it is around to my slab now.  Question for
those with experience or what not:

- I'm using 3500psi concrete with fiber mixed in.  I'm told by many that I
do not need to use rebar support under the slab.  My gut feeling is yes you
do or it can't hurt.  But many have said I'm just wasting money, any of you
guys do concrete work or such and have an opinion?    My pad is all ready to
go forms in place, thickened edge cut out, rebar in the thickened edge
installed.

- Shop will be mainly to hold my "man toys" as my wife calls them, things
like my 59 Bugeye that I got from David Oliner (now i'll be able to work on
it and get it out of my father in-laws shop), lawnmower, Honda Odyssey dune
buggy, work bench that kind of thing.  I'm putting in 4" thick concrete as
well.

Also, when I'm done any opinions on floor coatings?  I know there are
several brands of epoxy type coatings for concrete floors.

Thanks a bunch,
Charlie
OKC,OK
======================================

Charlie, I'm up in WI where we have to deal with frost heaves etc.and I
don't know squat about concrete, but I would strongly suggest that you
consult with a pro on this to prevent future broken slabs.  My builders said
that just putting in a wire mesh on my garage slab would work just fine and
a be a bit cheaper than rebar. It broke into three pieces 2 years ago.  Last
year I spent about $1000 to have a mud jacker try to level it out again.  It
still isn't right (but better) and I would happily spend several times that
in retrospect to never have to deal with this BS.  Going cheap rarely pays
off.

My garage is now very slightly tilted to one side which is a royal PITA
right now as I am having the house and garage resided.   Honestly, a couple
extra bucks now will pay off big-time later in saved repairs.

Larry Daniels

P.S.   I had one of those Honda Odyssey dune buggies several years ago.
What a blast to play with.  A guy needs his toys, doesn't he?