Re: 2007 Austin-Healey Calendar

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2007 Austin-Healey Calendar
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:06:04 -0800
Jay Fishbein wrote:  "For these same reasons I think his criticism of
the lists is unfounded.  (Those who know me will agree I wrote this
using incredible restraint.)

 From my point of view, the two items that were presented confirm my
view that there is no place in the AHCA for me or those Sprite-owners
like me.  Beginning with the "Healey Marque" magazine, it seems to
continue to be a social page for favored friends.  I mean, nine, count
them NINE (9) photographs devoted to a "Rob Phillips", identified only
as the editor's "traveling companion", with a multitude of pulchritude,
all of whom are deservedly nameless.  Then a detailed play-by-play of
the rich-blooded Barrett-Jackson Auction, including 35 photographs of
eight cars.  And finally, 19 printed appearances of the editor's name
(OK, perhaps as a newspaper reporter editor I was too anonymous by
declining by-lines whenever possible, allowing my name only once on the
masthead, and never allowing my photo appear.  Obviously, the magazie
caters to a crowd other than the Joe Blogs like me.

The whoop-de-doo Sprite calendar also is geared to the hoity toity
crowd.  The title of the calendar could just as aptly been, the 2006
Bahamas Speed Week calendar.  Hellsfire, I couldn't even afford to get
to the Bahamas, let alone circulate with that crowd.  And as Jay pointed
out, for the AHCA to try and flog for $8.00 a calendar that is out and
date and they could not offer to their own members is just a little
unseemly.

I think that both of the "Big Healey" clubs need to take the time and
give serious thought to defining what they want they magazines to be and
what they way to use them for.  Personally, I would prefer to see my
money go for a mimeographed newsletter with tech tips and articles about
the cars rather than be a social page.  But, that is just one of the
reasons I dropped my membership a long, long time ago.

And yes, I know Jay.  Believe me, he was incredibly restrained!  Almost
as if he had a gag and a white coat with long arms that wrapped and
around and were tied in the back!

Buster