RE: Smoking 1275

To: "'Phil Nase'" <nase@ptd.net>, "'Spridgets'"
Subject: RE: Smoking 1275
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:56:49 -0500
Here's more info on my smoking 1275.  Since the 5 speed conversion the rear
of the engine is higher than the front.  I assume this is typical and
normal.

With the rocker cover off, the pushrod side is draining off the oil.  The
oil is pooling a bit around the #1 cylinder valves .

I did a compression check dry and wet but since my compression tester is
14mm and my plug bores are 12mm I could only seal the tester with an o ring
between the bore and tester and holding by hand.  My results were pretty
similar so if not right at least I was consistant.

All meaurements are lbs/sq cm.  I don't know the conversion to sq in
offhand.

                                1       2       3       4
Dry     1st stroke              35      35      35      35
Dry     5th stroke              55      55      50      50
Wet     1st stroke              35      35      35      30+
Wet     5th stroke              60      55      50      60

If anyone has any more help to offer based on this please let me know.

Is there any way to replace the oil separator innards without pulling off
the timing chain cover?

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa

Subject: Smoking 1275

Ever since I put the 1275 back in the BE after the 5 speed conversion it's a
real smoker.  Until its warmed up it looks like a mosquito control truck.
Definitely oil smoke.

Also this time when I addded the engine oil it backed up in the rocker
cover.  It did find its way to the sump but I never experienced this before.
The garage was warm, I used 20/50.  I had the rocker cover off the engine
for a week or so while the engine was out.  Could I have a blocked hole that
caused this?

I'm just wondering if anyone has BTDT.  I plan to look at it today.  If
nothing is obvious then what? Pull the head?

Phil Nase
Quakertown, PA