AM Radio Blues

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: AM Radio Blues
From: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:06:53 -0500
Hey Guys (And Gals),

       Ok. Looks like I pulled another dumb, knucklehead  move: Drilled the
antenna hole and defaced my car without  first examining the consequences.
      Thanks for the helpful suggestions, Derf, John, Ed, Lon, Guy.
       I put the antenna where a former one was removed and the hole bondoed
over. The previous owner must have been telling me something, so I`ll start
there. If that doesn`t work, then I`ll work my way through.
     And all this so`s I can listen to Rush Limbaugh or the ballgame.
      So, then, whatever happened to Rock and Roll on AM? You fellows woih
might have grown up around old Baltimore remember Radio 60-WCAO? Fats
Domino.Buddy Holley. . .
     French fries with gravy and 15 cent burgers at the Hot Shop in Hamilton
or, if you were from the more wealthy side of town and drove a Vette or
T-Bird, Ameche`s?. . .
     Vietnam was a trick question on the final exam, and the Russians were
sure as hell going to hit us with the big A and we were sure as hell going to
dish it back with interest, but not on this particular Saturday night. . .
     The beer you bribed your big brother or  some wino to get for you was
cold but cheap enough (drugs were something grandma took),  and the girls were
all 16 and pretty, but never as easy as all that.
    Even if they hadn`t heard of panty hose. . .
    Bugeyes? LBCs were cheap used foreign cars that only the screwball preppy
nonconformists among us would own--if the truth be known,  so we could flaunt
our individuality and hopefully attract a couple of those hard to get
intellectual girls eager to try something new.
     I once went out with a girl who drove a Metropolitan!  Her name I can`t
recall, but she had blonde hair and the car was Red and white. If she was
unreachable, at least her Metropolitan had an MG engine.
    The real men who got first crack at the hot girls wore white T shirts with
the sleeves rolled up to show their biceps and drove black primered flat-head
50 Fords with full-moon hubcaps or, better still,  red painted rims, or glossy
55 Chevys with names like "Aw Go" painted white across the fenders to
intimidate the competition and lowered so as to crush beer cans in the road. .
.
    It was 1961, going where we`d never been. . .Those were really the days,
guys. Who cared if the radio had a little static. That`s where the music was.
    Hey, you all have to excuse me. It`s late in the day here and I felt like
rambling. . .

Bert Shirey