Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 05:51:43 -0600
On 1/12/07, dmeadow@juno.com <dmeadow@juno.com> wrote:
> Years ago when a hurricane hit Florida my parents were affected.  They
> were extremely complimentary on how the Red Cross responded and the help
> that was provided.  Other reports said the same thing.
>
> That was when Elizabeth Dole was running the Red Cross.  Sounds like it
> has gone downhill since then.

My bad experience with the Red Cross was in 1968.  It may have helped
a few folks from time to time, but overall, I've seen more negative
than positive.

In addition to watching them SELL food and clothing to victims of
Camille, I also had a bad experience with a youngster who worked for
me in the Air Force. We were in Europe and his mother passed away. He
was an only child from an impoverished family and as an Airman Third
Class had next to no money. I helped him apply for a humanitarian loan
from the Red Cross so that he could attend his mother's funeral. The
Red Cross turned him down ostensibly because he couldn't provide
enough collateral for the loan. Real humanitarian of them! I loaned
him the money and he paid me back in full within a year.

The Red Cross can stick it where the sun don't shine!  For many years
I have also refused to give money to the United Way unless I could
stipulate where my donation went. A goodly portion of United Way
agencies spend the bulk of your donations on administration rather
than giving your money to the needy.

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City