Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)
From: "Brent Wolf" <wolf.brent@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:29:53 -0500
I can't believe with all the bad experiences people have with the Red Cross
and United Way, they still MAKE money.

Jim, your experience with the Red Cross is the same as mine. 1974, Seaman
just transferred to the boat. Service record all mess up in the transfer, no
pay to feed his wife and 2 kids. Took him to Red Cross for emergency
assistance, refused - he made to much money. Yet walking out of the next
office was a Seaman Apprentice with a nice check in his hand telling his
buddy, "Lets go get that stereo" - We helped out the Seaman until his pay
record was straightened out.

Don't be so fast with United Way and stipulating where the money goes.  My
family and I and about 200 others were stuck on a highway in a blizzard for
about 12 hours. Emergency services managed to open the road far enough to
get everyone off the interstate. We were all put up in hotels. For those of
us that could not afford it, a local charity organization (I don't even
remember their name right now) picked up the bill for the room. They were
affiliated with the United Way.  On the next United Way Drive, I looked up
and found that organizations affiliation, I gladly donated and I even
increased my donation, I stipulated that 50% of the money go to that
organization. I was assured "Oh, Yes, no problem".  Six months later, I
checked, they had not recieved a dime. I called United Way and demanded my
money back. They tried to argue about it, but in the end, they had to give
me my money back, I sent it to the local organization and I have not given
United Way a dime since. And I never will.