Portable generators --No LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portable generators --No LBC
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:54:44 -0500
Friends:

Got this 8 h.p. generator that is supposed to push out 4,000 watts
constant power.  I've had it for years but decided in a recent ice storm
to have it run my gas furnace.  No dice!  In fact, it didn't seem to do
a very good job of keeping three 65 watt floodlights reasonably bright.
It was running through a number of feet of cable from the back door to a
switch box, to the main panel and then through the house wiring to the
devices. But it was a pathetic showing and I worried about it burning
out my blower motor.

Is there a way to check the output of a generator?  I guess a voltmeter
across the outlets would tell me something, but why would a 4kW
generator be such a weakling?  It hasn't had a whole lot of use over the
years so I don't want to just throw money at a new one if the issue will
remain.

Guidance?

Thanks.

-JohnD