Re: Portable generators --No LBC

To: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Portable generators --No LBC
From: "John D'Agostino" <john.dagostino@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:41:00 -0500
Hi.
I believe 4000 watts should run at least two 15 amp circuits.
(15ax120v)=1800 watts *2 = 3600 watts. That is assuming both circuits were
both at max using 15 amps. In reality they should be drawing 80% of 15a max.
So you should have plenty to spare running your furnace and a couple of
lights. Even a motor starting shouldn't exceed 15amps. Look at the rating on
the blower motor. It's probably on a 20 amp circuit, but that's only 2400
watts max.
So, I would suspect your generator is not functioning as it should. However
I can't tell you how to troubleshoot it.

Hope this helps,
John