Re: Portable generators --No LBC

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>, "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Subject: Re: Portable generators --No LBC
From: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:32:54 -0800
> 4kw is enough to drive a TV and a small refrigerator, maybe, but
> not a furnace fan.
Assuming it puts out 120volts, that's 33 amps.  Most outlets are 20 amp, the
rest are 15.  It should be enough for several refrigerators and a furnace
fan. Make sure you have it hooked up to the breaker box correctly. You have
to connect it to the same 120v branch circuit as the furnace, after shutting
off the main breaker. Don't connect it to the main input which is 240v, and
don't leave the main breaker on.  If you do, you'll be supplying 60 volt
power to yourself, the entire neighborhood, and the the electric company.
If it's a 220 volt generator, you can connect it to the mains, but you still
have to shut off the main breaker unless you plan on bringing enough for
everybody.