RE: Portable generators --No LBC

To: "Billy Zoom" <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>, "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Portable generators --No LBC
From: "Deikis, John G" <John.Deikis@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:45:24 -0500
Hey...don't you guys have jobs???!

Thanks for all the quick replies.
I have a switch box that was put in by an electrician about 10 years
ago.
The box has 5 circuits and goes into the 5 circuits I wanted to be able
to power up.  It sits next to the main panel and is wired into it by the
mother of all cables.  I plug the generator's 240V output into a male
outdoor connector box which runs about 30 feet through the basement to
the switching box.  I start up the generator, then I select just ONE of
the circuits (15 amps each, with two of them ganged to run a 240V well
pump), then I wait to see if anything works.  The switches are all dual
pole to select grid or generator.  But, I DID NOT turn off the main
breaker in the control panel.
Think that was my problem?