Transmission question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission question
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:53:43 -0400
I have a question about the transmission in my '69 Midget. When I put
the car back on the road a month or two ago the clutch slave was rusted
so I replace the clutch master & slave cylinders & the flexible line.
The replacement master was not the same as the original, it came in a
kit from VB and must be off some later model car.

It took forever to get the system bled. I used a mity-vac and then bled
it to old fashioned way. Then I drove it a few hundred miles and bled it
again. At this point I don't think that there is any air in the line or
at least I'm not seeing any come through in the bleeding. I had my wife
press on the clutch pedal and when she pressed on the clutch I could see
the pin move in the slave maybe 3/4" - 1". How far should the pin travel
to fully release the clutch?

I'm having a hard time getting the car to shift into first. I have to
really shove it into first sometimes and I want to make sure that I'm
not screwing things up. It seems to go into reverse just fine and is
pretty good shifting into the other gears most of the time.

My question is does this sound like the clutch line is still not totally
bled or does this sound like some other problem? One other thing I've
noticed is that if I push the clutch pedal down while driving in 2nd -
4th gear the clutch disengages and the engine RPMs drop, but in first
gear the RPMs don't drop until I've shifted out of first gear and
sometimes it can be hard shifting out of first.

Thanks,

Robert Weeks
Bahama, NC