RE: Transmission question

To: "John Caffrey" <jdc6@Lehigh.EDU>, "Robert Weeks" <lists@woozy.com>
Subject: RE: Transmission question
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:46:15 -0500
Might sound crazy, but years ago before my 5-speed swap I had a similar
problem.  After doing everything that John suggests I found that the
release lever was actually bent toward the rear of the car about 1/2
inch.  There's a long story why this happened.  Anyway, I put the lever
in a BIG vise and (using a 3-foot cheater pipe) bent it forward to its
normal position plus about another 1/4 inch.  This took mucho effort but
it worked very well.  It drew up the lever end to almost touching the
dust boot of the slave cylinder and pushed the piston further back in
the cylinder bore.  That made all the difference in the world for the
feel of the clutch action.  Just my 2-cents worth....
Jack