Re: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.

To: derf <derf247@gmail.com>, "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 07:12:35 -0400
I concur with Derf. I have a Miller Cricket (no longer made under
that name) with the CO2 / Argon gas kit. Great little unit (110
volts). Plenty good for sheet metal, but when I had a tractor I was
able to use the Cricket for heavier material to make / repair
implements. I don't have the self-darkening mask, but WISH I did. You
need both hands for other things rather than flipping the shield
down. Depending on your eyes, you may want to purchase a cheater
lens. A cheater lens serves the same purpose as the reading glasses
you buy at the drug store. They come in powers just like reading
glasses, ie: +1, +1 1/2, +2, etc. Makes seeing your work easier. The
lens fits in your welding mask. Ask at your welding shop.
Good luck.

At 11:27 PM 5/1/2007, derf wrote:
>Get a 110V Lincoln welder w/MIG kit.  MIG welding is very easy
>compared to other types of welding.  Get a tank of C25 which is 75%
>CO2 and 25% Argon.  Before you weld something important practice on
>similar pieces of metal to get the feed and current settings right.
>Get a good self-darkening mask.
>
>I have a Lincoln and it is a great little welder.  I still think the
>Millers are a little better, in general.  I'm no welder.  I just
>formed that opinion some time back when I was researching welders and
>talking with people who use them for a living.
>Cheers,
>Derf

Tim Collins
1966 AH Sprite