RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.

To: "'Bud Osbourne'" <abcoz@hky.com>, "'Jim Juhas'"
Subject: RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 07:04:24 -0500
Bud,

When I worked as a sheet metal fabricator and welder for a year after high
school... before heading off to college, I did mostly stick welding, mostly
in stainless. I did some mig and tig welding occasionally. I worked at a
place that made chemical dryers etc. The welds had to be flawless. Of
course, back then...(1974-1975) there were no auto-darkening helmets. I was
18-19 at the time.

About 1990 I bought a Lincoln 100 mig to do body work. I was 33.

Recently, I got a used (big) Miller tig welder. I'm now 51.

About 5 years ago, my close up vision went to hell. I asked my eye doctor
what was wrong? He said... "you're old."

In addition to dealing with the usual trials and tribulations of seeing when
you weld, I was now dealing with needing reading glasses for close up work.

So, I got a auto-darkening helmet... bought a cheap one at HF. It scared me.
I found it to be unreliable. I worried about doing eye damage. I ended up
buying a more expensive, name brand helmet. It just makes the whole process
easier... when having to wear reading glasses under the helmet.

WST