RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.

To: "'Wm. Severin Thompson'" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "'Jim Juhas'"
Subject: RE: Horrible Freight Arc Welder question.
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 08:20:51 -0400
Yeah, I don't doubt for a minute that an auto-darkening lens would make
life a bit easier.  But, since I'm having no real problems welding with
what I've been using just about forever, I have difficulty in allowing
myself to part with the money for a high quality, auto-darkening hood.
Like you, my arms got too short for my reading vision about 10-15 years
ago (I'm 60 now and can't remember exactly when it was).  I find the
"cheater lens" to be helpful on the autobody steel, but not essential
(but I still use one at all times, now).
What I've been really lusting after, for the last few years, is that
Lincoln welder that features "stick", MIG AND TIG, plus all of the other
bells & whistles.  I think it's about a $3500 unit, so, it may have to
wait a few more years to find it's way into my workshop.  But, something
tells me that that welding machine will appear in my shop long before an
auto-darkening hood does ;)
Bud Osbourne