Re: [Spridgets] Air Compressor Fittings

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridgets"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Air Compressor Fittings
From: Peter C <peter@nosimport.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:44:38 -0500
At 08:43 PM 10/4/2007, David Lieb wrote:

> >I have a friend with a nice body shop.  They fix newer high end cars,
> > some that haven't been sold yet.  They use PVC for compressed air
> > runs.   They run somewhere between 150-200 PSI which is probably more
> > than your home compressor.
>
>Hmm, you are all saying PVC, but GRM emphasizes NOT to use PVC
>under any circumstances because of the issues with becoming brittle
>with time, sunlight, chemicals , etc. The idea of pvc shrapnel is not
>enticing. Sounds like someone had an accident which is still haunting
>them. My garage is only about 22 x 22, so I will not go broke on
>copper tubing (FINALLY, a benefit to having inadequate space!).
>Farm & Fleet sounds like a good idea, too. I keep forgetting them
>and I shouldn't.
Ummm    I advocate black iron pipe. (not galvanized).  Also available
at F&F. Run some drops for drainage. We've been running it for 25
years on the same compressor that was 30 years old when we bought it.
Air tools running daily, plus a bead blaster. No worries. I love
plastics for many things, but not this.

Peter C.