Re: [Spridgets] New Engine oil change

To: Guy Weller <guy.weller@tiscali.co.uk>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Engine oil change
From: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:22:20 -0500
---- Guy Weller <guy.weller@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
Then what? You have had the oil analysed and it identifies which part of the
engine the metal particals have come from. Assuming the engine is, as Daniel's,
in a bedding in phase and wear is both anticipated and beneficial what do you
do then with the information from the lab?  Come to that, even on a run-in
engine what beneficial use can the normal owner make of that sort of
information?

I agree that the normal running in process will cause a certain amount of
metallic contaminants... I threw the idea of having the oil analyzed out there
because Daniel's email sorta had an air of concern to it, like he might think
that the quantity was excessive for break in. Anytime one spends their
hard-earned money on expensive upgrades, they wish to protect their investment.
If, in fact, there is no concern on Daniel's behalf, there is no reason to have
the oil analyzed. Most guys that I know who build performance engines are
fanatical about doing it right and double checking them. When it comes to high
performance boats, there is a lot more labor involved in R&R-ing the engines.
Here again, most of the high perf boat owners have money to burn too!

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1975 Midget - trailerparked queen