Re: [Spridgets] New Engine oil change

To: guy.weller@tiscali.co.uk, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Engine oil change
From: <bushwacker4@zoomtown.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 14:42:17 -0500
Come to that, even on a run-in engine what beneficial use can the normal owner
make of that sort of information?

Hi Guy,

I forgot to answer the question that you posed... Sorry but I just turned old!
The reason for oil analysis is to determine the extent of material in the oil
and its source. Most labs over here that do this are experienced enough to
predict the condition of things as they are very specialized. For example, rod
and main bearings are made of different metals within each part. When the
mating surface material wears through, the underlying material will then be
exposed to wear and will become a contaminant in the oil too. The presence of
the underlying metal will tell the analyst that the bearing has significantly
worn. The amount of that contaminant in a measured amount of oil will also
indicate the likelihood of imminant failure. Between the lab's experience and
the manufacturer's database, they are usually spot on.

My buddy with the twin blown 502s in his boat has about $30 K each to worry
about should they grenade! He would rather find the problem before it discloses
itself in the form of a failed engine. Much cheaper to replace bearings, rings,
or whatever before the rod goes through the side of the block...

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1975 Midget - trailerparked queen