Re: [Spridgets] last bit of side curtain seals

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] last bit of side curtain seals
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@me.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:32:37 -0700
List,

Here is a write up that  I did several years back on rebuilding side
curtains.  Hope it helps.

Outside rubber weather seals:
Except by some exceedingly painful time consuming process I do not
know how to get these seals in place as a single part.  Inspection of
our new seals showed that they were made of three parts and then
bonded together.  So with a very sharp blade we cut these bonds so we
had the three parts.  Once more using the WorkMate to hold the frames
look at the outside slots where they meet at the corners.  When the
frames are fabricated a weld bead blocks the track at the corners.
You want to clear these beads at the two lower corners.  The lower
front corner only has to be done in the vertical direction, the rear
corner in both the vertical and horizontal directions.  Do this using
jewelers files.  You may need to extend the T groove through the
outer edge of the frame, if so keep it a small as possible.  Install
the weather seal that goes on the top and rear of the frame first by
sliding it through the cleaned T groove at the bottom rear of the
frame.  We like to use Sil-Glyde Lubricating Compound, available at
auto supply stores, on the seals to make them easier to install. Next
install the front seal.  Use Crazy Glue to re-bond the top corner.
Crazy Glue is usually available at hobby stores, particularly those
with radio controlled models.  Finally install the bottom seal and
bond it to the front seal.  If your seals are like the ones we got the
bottom rear corner will not completely match but this is the best
place to have a gap in the seal. The replacement seals were made to
small or you would have to stretch them while doing the installation
which most likely would have broken the bonded seams anyway.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition

http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2231/fc/BLSrjnxSGLj3Yg2ktxzs591i2b9vaK