Re: [Spridgets] Throw-out bearing

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Throw-out bearing
From: Rick Fisk <refisk@chartermi.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:18:56 -0500
Resting your hand on the shift lever might cause wear in the shift forks, but
won't cause any throwout bearing problems.

On my '68 VW Beetle with the Auto-Stick Shift transmission resting your hand
on the gear lever caused the clutch to disengage.  It was designed that way.
Seriously.  :-)

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

On Nov 27, 2011, at 12:55 PM, kgb@frontiernet.net wrote:

> I really have no idea. This is something I was told back in the early 1960s
by a factory trained BMC mechanic of many years experience. I wasn't
interested in reasons at the time, just promoting the longevity of my car.

> Kate

resting your foot on the pedal while driving would also shorten the life, and
the foot on the clutch at stop signs and lights. I was not aware of the danger
of resting your hand on the gearshift while in motion. May I request an
explanation for this ignorant young lad?
> Thank you so much
>
> Brad
>

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM, < kgb@frontiernet.net > wrote:
>

> Starting your car in gear will also greatly shorten the life of your
throwout bearing, as will the common practice of resting your hand on the
gearshift lever as you are driving.

> Kate

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75