[Spridgets] OT - looking to get a new family car

Subject: [Spridgets] OT - looking to get a new family car
From: rbastedo at gmail.com (Rick Bastedo)
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:41:04 -0800
We're looking at a 1999 Volvo V70 wagon.
We would be getting it for very low price but it has a couple mechanical
issues.

First the ignition "is jury rigged". I haven't seen it but I guess he means
the key ignition needs to be replaced, he said a mechanic quoted him $500
to replace it. I'm wondering how hard this could be to replace and couldn't
I get a used replacement and swap it in?
Like this:
http://tinyurl.com/6s4eg6o

Second it's got the CEL with codes that "suggest transmission and exhaust
sensor work is needed".

The exterior and interior of the car are immaculate so it's the kind of
thing I don't mind spending a little on to bring it back to "normal". The
owner assures me it runs perfectly, but I'd take it through the paces
before buying.

We have owned Volvo's before and they have been great family cars, we need
to get out of our 14 MPG van RIGHT NOW with the price of gas going up and
my better half's predilection to giving everyone who asks a ride to where
ever they want to go...

So - any help on the issues I described or maybe just thoughts about this
sort of car, previously I've owned 122's and a 242 sedan so this would be a
much newer Volvo for me. I've heard this was the first year for computer
control on several systems and that makes me pause a bit.

Rick (gas pump shocked) Bastedo