Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: NamasteRH@aol.com, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: Keith Bradshaw <bradshaw@utdallas.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:43:04 -0500

         > In a message dated 96-06-15 20:14:17 EDT, Steve Laifman writes:
         >
         > >> I suggest that a variable resistor (rheostat) in series with the
motor

         >  the voltage and turning it to HEAT.  There are electronic means of
         >  doing this, but simply turning it off when it isn't required is a
         >  simpler solution.  All modern cars (post 1968) have had such
devices,
         >  Your local Rocket Scientist,
         >
         >  Steve Laifman
         >
         > Steve:
         >
         > You are missing the point, I think.  The problem here is that the
flow rate
         > of the water pump is too high and the coolant has insufficient time
in the
         > radiator for heat transference.  The introduction of a rheostat was
suggested
         > as a means to slow the pump, allowing (assuming a simple circuit)
the water
         > to remain in contact with the radiator for a longer period.
         >
         > Rick

         A few months back there was an extended discussion on the british-cars
         list about whether or not is was possible for coolant flow to be too
         high to allow sufficient time for it to be cooled in the radiator.  If
         recall, there where all kinds of thermodynamic arguments both ways,
with
         the final consensus (I think) being that it wasn't possible.

          As I recall, the flat-head Ford V-8 had a problem with cooling as the
water
        did go through the radiator too fast for efficient heat exchange and by
adding
        a restriction the engine ran cooler..

        I tried this on my Mk 1A heater core and found I had more heat by
reducing the
        heater valve opening on cold days than I did running wide open!!!

        mBrad