Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: av342@lafn.org, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: NamasteRH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:30:48 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-15 20:14:17 EDT, Steve Laifman writes:

>> I suggest that a variable resistor (rheostat) in series with the motor
 (like on an air-conditioner fan, if you've ever want to drive
 something other than a LBC) would reduce the fan speed by soaking up
 the voltage and turning it to HEAT.  There are electronic means of
 doing this, but simply turning it off when it isn't required is a
 simpler solution.  All modern cars (post 1968) have had such devices,
 when an auxilliary fan is required, and they are simply a bi-metallic
 strip set to close contacts at a specific design temperature.  They
 are available with electric fans from most after-market suppliers.
 PAW catalogs then in diameters from 12 to 16 inches, with and without
 thero-switches (Not from Lucas, but probably from Mexico or China).

 Your local Rocket Scientist,

 Steve Laifman
 New Owner of B9472289

Steve:

You are missing the point, I think.  The problem here is that the flow rate
of the water pump is too high and the coolant has insufficient time in the
radiator for heat transference.  The introduction of a rheostat was suggested
as a means to slow the pump, allowing (assuming a simple circuit) the water
to remain in contact with the radiator for a longer period.

Rick