Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: NamasteRH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:23:45 +0100
O.K., Rick, you apparently meant an electricly driven water pump, not
fan.  If so, I did miss the point.  However, if you want to increase
the "residence time", that is the amount of time the fluid stays in
contact with the hot surface, or the cooling stream thru the radiator,
the way I've used is cheap, simple, and available from PAW for a few
bucks.  I put a flow restrictor in the entry to the radiator.  This
was a washer whose O.D. fit against the radiator inlet so it would be
flush with the inlet tube.  The I.D. was about 1/2", as I recall, and
It was used in a front mounted sloped radiator whose inlet was no
bigger than the license plate area I cut out of the closed front.  The
radiator was almost horizontal, and the outlet was the removed bottom
of the ex trunk bottom of the front trunk compartment.  The rear
mounted Pontiac Fiero V-6 was pplumbed to the frint thru exhaust
tubing and flex line.  This immediately solved my heating problem, and
allowed an air-conditioner as well.  While I constructed my own flow
restrictor, at least two different manufacturers are lited in the PAW
catalog for sets of washers to "dial in" the correct size.  This
approach was also useful in my'66 Mustang convertible when I bought a
four row "Desert Cooler".  The water went thru so fast that no cooling
took place.  I finally replaced it with a three row, high fin count,
high tube count radiator.  It needed no other assistance and runs very
cool.

Your local Rocket Scientist,

Steve Laifman
B9472289