Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Electric Water Pumps, and radiators
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 21:37:59 +0100
RE: Cavitaion.

Right on, Roland.  Cavitation results in gaseous pockets when the
water flow reduces the local pressure below the vapor pressure of
water, literally allowing boiling at a lower temperature. (like
"boiling" water in Denver is not as hot as it is in L.A).  At these
conditions the "heat transfer coefficient", rate that the heat can be
transferred to the fluid, goes to hell.  Increasing pressure by
restricion would reduce cavitation.  Increasing residence time is
another example.  This all can not be taken to extremes, or we could
end up plugging our lines and expecting better results.  There is a
proper balance, which is why the "kits" mentioned in other letter come
with different sized orfices.  A matter of "cut and try".

Steve Laifman
B947289