Big Secret

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Big Secret
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:06:35 -0400

>a) I've gotten the impression that going LSD requires 3.08 or above,
although Dale A says one can fit one to 2.88's w/a little machine work
without specifying exactly what (big secret?). My preference
>is 2.88, but I can live with the 3.08's.

I think the difference is how far to the side the ring gear is spaced.  For
example, I have a 4:10 and a 3:31 gearset laying around, and the pinion gear
is pretty small in diameter on the 4:10 in comparison to the 3:31 set .
Consequently, the ring gear is closer to " center"  with the 4:10's .   I've
got these laying around handy if you want to have a look at them.

>b) Right after I got the car (1991), Wally Swift of Beltsville, Md, showed
me what he said was the last uninstalled Gleason Torsen (sp?)
>unit of a batch made for Tigers. Thus, I assume the other LSD's offered are
of some other type. Other thatn a dimly-remembered article in R&T years ago,
likening Torsens to worm-and-roller steering, I don't know much about them.

I'll try and dig up an article I have that explains them.

>>. I still wonder if anyone else out there knows what interchanges might be
out there.

It's my understanding that these are Dana 44 units.  If that's the case then
there should be a sh*tload of parts
available for them via the 4X4 offroad suppliers as a lot of 4X4's use the
Dana 44.  There could be differences that I'm not aware of..........comments
anyone ??

>Ya up for it, Mario? My M/S could be here by Friday. There _may_ be a
Nissan SE-R tech session here this weekend, maybe not,
>so either we could put it off, or combine (?) them.

Hey, I'll help with the Tiger........but I _won't_ attend a Nissan tech
session.  :~)

                                                                            Rick