Alternators

To: "'tigers'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternators
From: Bennett Cullen <p21988@gegpo8.geg.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 97 08:38:00 MST
Hi Guys,

>I too want to upgrade to an alternator.  CAT sells a bracket, but its
>been out of stock for some time..  Normal Ford ones don't allow for the
TIger "short" >pulleys (Roland)...
>Anybody know what to do?  I think some kind of small Japanese alternator
>with  reliable internal regulator would do nicely.
>
>Gary
I went with a GM alternator (internal regulator) also. It mounts very nicely
on the drivers side with one bolt (pivot) into the front of the head. I made
a simple tensioner bracket that mounted to the top of the water pump and ran
a single wire up to where the old generator regulator mounted to tie into
the existing wiring. This way, none of the original  wires had to be cut.
The only thing objectionable is that the "self priming" action of the
alternator doesn't come on immediately (due to a resistor value being too
high). One slight rev-up and it comes alive, ready to serve from then on.
By mounting it on the driver side you open up a hole on the other side big
enough to hang an air conditioner compressor on the original generator
bracket (with a little grinding). Now that's a real benefit-luxury in
Arizona.

Cullen in Tempe (B9472658).