Re: Alternators

To: LannieH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternators
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:42:42 -0800 (PST)
At 11:28 PM 3/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

>The generator in my 65 Tiger is starting to make some strange noises which
>will need some looking into shortly.  I would like to get some pros & cons on
>switching to an alternator.  Is there much involved in the doing this, or is
>it fairly straightforward?  Thanks for any input.
>
>Lannie

STOA published a Tech Tip on this subject in the mid 70's.  If you send me
a fax number, I can sent you a copy.  The tip deals mainly with the wiring
end of the installation on a descriptive step by step basis.

STOA is also in the final stages of a multi-part Tech Tip series on the
Tiger charging system.  Because most owners prefer to stay with the
original generator system, this will be the primary focus, but we intend to
cover the installation of alternators before we're done.  The series is
being written by fellow Tiger owner Dennis Knapek of Eureka, CA who happens
to own an auto electric business.  He knows his stuff.  He's not on line at
this time, so if you have questions, he may be able to help you on the
phone 707 442-8774.

I have converted both of my Tigers to alternators using the standard Ford
alternators complete with external regulators.  The primary difference in
my installation is the adapter mount which locates the pivot bolt just
above the return radiator hose.  This allows the alternator to swing from
the bottom in front of the right cylinder head giving a lot more room in
the valve cover area.  It also requires a shorter fan belt.

I've been very happy with the performance of these systems, but next time I
will be using one of the smaller Japanese alternators.  This should make it
even less crowded.

As soon as Dennis completes his current efforts, I'll see if he can work up
a simple wiring diagram for the typical alternator retrofit.  If you simply
can't wait, there are a number of street rod "How To" books that have the
basics laid out.  You'll just have to relate the generalities the offer to
your own case.

Tom Hall