Snapped Bonnet Release Cable

To: "schotbus@cyberenet.net" <schotbus@cyberenet.net>,
Subject: Snapped Bonnet Release Cable
From: "Kempinski, Robert M." <RKEMPINS@SSF4.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 11:00:00 -0500
Gary,

I had a stuck hood release but my situation was a little different and
may not help you.  In my case, the hood would open just a smidgen, but
due to
poor adjustment not all the way.  I was able to snake an electrical
extension
cord under the hood and with a helper we pulled both sides of the cord
and
got the lever to pop, freeing the hood without damaging anything.   The
electrical extension cord worked well as it had a little bit of give to
it
so it didn't screw up the paint on the edge of the hood.

You may be able to snake a wire and string down on the lever arm that
the
cable attaches too and try pulling it.  Getting the string where you
want it
is the tricky part.  Try attaching the string to a wire and working it
under
the edge of the hood.  :-\

If the hood doesn't budge at all, I would look at the front hinges and
see
if there is a way to grind off the bolts holding  down the hood or the
hinges.  Seems like the least invasive technique.

Good luck.

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas

------
REPLY FROM: Kempinski, Robert M.
Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note